The time of year when the streets are dressed in coloured lights has arrived. In the special corners of Barcelona, where you will find Well&Come, our boutique hotel, you will find trees decorated with stars, baubles and decorations…The time of year when walking through the city in the cold is actually quite pleasant. Yes, it’s time for Christmas.
At our boutique hotel in Barcelona we wanted to tell you in this blog all the things, traditions and places where it is essential to spend at least a few minutes, to say that you have lived an authentic Barcelonan Christmas and don’t miss any of the Christmas fun in the Condal City.
What can Well&Come recommend for you?
It is not worth spending this festivity in the city and not having gone to a traditional Christmas market. In Barcelona there are many themed markets during this time of year where you can enjoy a festive and magical atmosphere and where you can also buy all kinds of decorations for your tree. The best market is the Fira de Santa Llúcia and also the oldest in the city, located on the Avenida de la Cathedral. Another traditional market is the Sagrada Familia Market where you can enjoy the atmosphere alongside Gaudí’s famous basilica, located only 10 minutes on foot from our boutique hotel in Barcelona.
One of the most common destinations to visit in Barcelona, where you will find Well&Come, our boutique hotel, is the Tibidabo park. This emblematic amusement park also dresses up at Christmas offering shows and activities for all the family during the festivities.
The Poble Espanyol becomes an incredible Christmas scene. There is a big Christmas market magnificently decorated offering traditional gastronomy and crafts and filled with children’s activities. What’s most visited is Father Christmas’ House and the Three Wise Men from the East.
A fun and entertaining plan for the whole family is…taking a stroll! Enjoying a cold, but very magical stroll under the lights and all the Christmas decorations is a tempting plan for everyone. The Christmas spirit and its welcoming atmosphere can be felt in the streets.
And after a wander around you want to get the cold off your backs, Well&Come, our boutique hotel in Barcelona, recommends one of our favourite past times, going for churros and hot chocolate. A classic which must be enjoyed at the Granja Viader, el Dulcinea or el Petrixol.
Essential Catalonian traditions to celebrate at Christmas
What most characterises each place in the world is its culture and traditions. We want to tell you about the most outstanding traditions in the Condal City to celebrate during this time.
- In every nativity scene in Catalonia it is essential to have a Caganer. It is a symbol of good luck; his faeces fertilises the land and in turn that brings luck for the upcoming year.
- As we have mentioned above, and as happens in many other regions, the “firas de Navidad” are perfect to visit for buying everything to do with the festivities.
- The Tió de Nadal is a magical trunk that days before Christmas Eve knocks at the doors to ask for shelter. It must be covered with a blanket so that it does not get cold and you must feed it until the 24th, the moment when he shows his thanks by “defecating” sweets and gifts.
- The 26th of December is the celebration of Saint Steven in Catalunya, it is typical during this day to eat homemade cannelloni made from leftovers from the previous days.
- L’Home dels Nassos is a mythical character who is very famous for his big nose and who only appears the 31st of December. Something to amuse the little ones.
The map of Christmas in Barcelona
On the website for the Barcelona town hall you will find a section relating to everything surrounding Christmas and also at the bottom you will find the Christmas Map.
It is a map of the city with the most important places to visit with the time marked with icons. The map shows where to find the most impressive nativities, Christmas markets, where to find the “Tió gigante”, everything to do with Christmas at the Plaza Catalunya and everything relating to the Three Wise Men of the East and where the bells for New Year’s Eve will ring.
Reserve your room at our boutique hotel in Barcelona
Have you already decided how you are going to spend Christmas? It is undoubtedly a great way to experience the culture and traditions of Barcelona. At Well and Come, our boutique hotel in Barcelona, we want to offer you the best quality accommodation and comfort during these dates.
By reserving directly on our website, you will receive exclusive benefits, such as 50% off breakfast, free Nespresso capsules, free minibar and late check out (subject to availability). Don’t think about it any longer and experience Christmas with us!